Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"The Gods Had Spoken"

My mum always have the habit of visiting the Chinese temple for some fortune-telling annually. Not to say superstitious, but she abides by Karl Marx's law, something about "opiate of the masses". My siblings and I often hear what and what not to do every year from the Chinese gods. And I often roll my eyes every time my mum read out the fortunes to us.

But this year's fortunes are a little bizzare . You might want to know what I got for this year. As my mum read out the slip, I was told not to mess around with somebody else's girlfriend. My brother and I laughed out loud at that. Funny crap. I don't think I have any crush this year. Not yet. Thank you very much.

The second paragraph astounded me. A lot. It's not even about what or what not to do anymore. It's a compliment. From the gods. About my short stories. Even my mother doesn't know that I write short stories.

"He have great skills for writing stories and he possesses a bright future with that skill."

There you go. Direct quotation.

I never really believed in gods and I am a firm believer in monotheism because I am not capable of pleasing too many gods. But this compliment coming out from the fortune-teller, it's funny. Almost too funny.

I guess that's true. They are indeed the opiate of the masses.

I found comfort in those compliments.



But for that heads-up about "someone else's girlfriend"......

2 comments:

alya said...

someone else's girlfriend?!!

Chan said...

i wonder who could that be?? =P