Wednesday, March 2, 2011

As An Assistant Director

Nearing the end of the whole 10 weeks of grueling hard work in preparing this play, I (as always) encountered some shit-talks about me not doing my job as an Assistant Director. Shit-talking is just common, particularly in my group of friends.

On the first week of preparing the play, the scriptwriter team bashed their head on the scripts and the storyline. Ideas were evaluated, some small details were taken, big details are scrapped. So I told my director that I would finish the storyline myself and submit to the lecturers tomorrow.

I designed the story to be narrated by a mother to her child (Later changed to grandfather to his granddaughter)

And true enough, the lecturer said she would accept some of my scenes into the play. I was proud, but really, I'm writing this to prove my point. I did something. Especially some of the actors who complained about my 'idleness' had their chance to shine in the scene created by me. That is what pisses me off, honestly. Put yourself in my shoes and you would know.

I was there every night to discuss about how to arrange the scenes. I was there to facilitate and control the actors whenever the director is discussing the technical aspects of the play: lighting, sound, stage.

It's just sissy move to say all this when we're nearing the end of the play, I don't even have the chance to do anything about it because I was focusing on the big show itself. I controlled all these anger and frustration to preserve the team's morale and ensure this will be their best memories in Unisel.

You're joking, you're joking. Same old things to say. But I do take jokes seriously, pardon me.

Shatish Selvarajah, Zharif Iskandar, Ahmadiliman. You know what I'm talking about.

"In the end, we might emerge with a masterpiece and all of us didn't do shit." - The 'lazy-ass' Assistant Director

3 comments:

tomkiddo said...

just do your thing and you'll get back what you deserve :)

Syafiqah said...

chan! u were the awesome-est asst. director ever!

:P

Chan said...

sob sob. thank you very much.. terharunya saya. =(