Monday, June 28, 2010

The 'Chinese' In Me

Gosh, it's so hard for me to be recognized as Chinese people these days. When I entered a store, usually a Chinese promoter would ask me, "nak cari apa bang?" Do I look not Chinese enough, or do they need me to wear a T-shirt saying: "I'm a Chinese!"?

I've even tried to make this 'masquerade' to a better use, like when I'm purchasing something from Low Yat. It's fun to catch some sellers trying to hide some bargains, or perhaps when they're discussing about selling me a rip-off. I saved most of my friend's life from purchasing crap items from Chinese sellers because I eavesdropped on their discussions.

I know I studied in Sekolah Kebangsaan, and I'm rich with cultures of Malay and Indians; but I don't think it will change my Chinese looks.

To make things worse, I'd make a crappy first impression when I'm trying to pick up Chinese chicks. It's not that I've tried that, but I can tell from their looks. Makes me wonder whether I'll be marrying a Chinese girl or not.

To my relief, recently a guy finally spoke to me in Cantonese in a shop. I ended up purchasing something from his store for the sake that he recognized my Chinese looks.

How can I make myself to look more 'Chinese'? Don't enlighten me about the 'eyes' stuff. Tried that and it's not working.

On second thought, I'm proud for my multicultural background. I fulfiled the 1Malaysia agenda!


Making my Chinese Face

12 comments:

aenny said...

i sentiasa nampak u chinese sebab u putih mata u sepet but one thing that i akan nampak u melayu is the way u speak malay. very fluent! its okay to be both. cilayu! :)

Chan said...

haha. mungkin i mmg da muka cina da, just i punye fluency dlm bm hebat sgt kot. trus npk cam melayu bile start bercakap. =p

Misya Idris said...

i never see u, but would love to meet u if u r in kl. btw, u look chinese enuff to me, maybe the way you brought yourself, plus influences surrounded you.

Chan said...

usually i'll be in kl when im free, so you'll have a good chance bumping into me there. =)

yea, i should put my fashion sense into consideration too.

tora corgan said...

hati hati brader puasa dah dekat ni, lu jgn sembarang makan time waktu siang, tak pasal pasal kena cekup naik van mayat tau hahahaha

Chan said...

ahaha. jangankan puasa, masa jumaat pown gua xberani nk jalan2. kang kena cekup ngan jais. =p

tomkiddo said...

and i'm forced to speak english when we're at the game stall at shah alam mall :P

Dottie With Dots said...

terbalik, during the period where I have not wear headscarf yet, I had always been mistook for a chinese. But then again I have a quarter of a chinese blood runnin in my vein. Can't blame them.

Chan said...

Tom: Our masquerade is working perfectly. =)

Dottie: Hehe, the only difference is that I'm pure Chinese. Lets' exchange faces! =p

Dottie With Dots said...

Nooooo i dont wanna grow mustache :P hahaha

Chan said...

haha why not? moustache looks awesome what? nobody wants to mess with you afterwards. hahah. =p

Muhammad said...

aku pulak ada banyak kali pegi kedai orang cakap mandarin dengan aku.. hahaha... ada sekali tu nenek tu mintak tolong apa ntah.. aku pulak muka blur...kesian pulak... aku kena belajar mandarin la someday supaya diorang tak kecewa... hahaha.. banyak gila aku komen... nice blog btw