Saturday, November 20, 2010

Telling The Truth

My photographic skill (if I had any) revolves around my childhood photos. Pretty much inherited from my mom. She doesn't care much about the angles or any sort of skills. Well, you know old cameras don't have much options for you to edit or HDR. The photos popped straight out of the printer and into the album. That's what I like about old photos. It's all about telling the truth.

Photographs that we usually took were our truth. Everything in it registers into your mind as if you were being told a short story. I had one embarrassing childhood photo of me clutching my pants, crying. I was naked then. When I looked back into the photo, it gave me flashback of what happened that day. And I don't think I should tell you what happened.

Photoshopping and HDR-ing may change a crappy photo into a masterpiece, but really, it conceals the truth and replaced it with some illusion for the viewers to like. As far as I'm concerned, that's not a skill. A photographer should produce photographs, not illustrations.

I don't really aim for comments such as, "Nice!" or "It's beautiful!" but I would prefer the viewers to tell their own story in the comment box. It's safe to assume that I'm the rare breed of photographers that attempts to put meaning into their works.

Perhaps this is just an excuse for me to skip my Photoshop lessons.

6 comments:

tomkiddo said...

this is like an insult to me :P i LOVE editting :) hahaha!

Chan said...

everybody has their own style. lol =)

orang sesat said...

again with the HDR?what is it eh??huhu

Chan said...

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range imaging, by intensifying a photo. for me, it looked more like illustrations and I don't really like it. huhu.

you can check it out here:

http://www.photogbiz.com/photography-business/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/digitalphotographytips2.jpg

Pill Pusher said...

That last pic of you standing, looks like you've just get caught doing something wrong.

Chan said...

heh, the others thought sand got into my eyes. lol